Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Jobs, Theaters, and Shots, oh my!

    I finally got to quit my official full time job last week. It was a long time coming and I'm really pleased with it. It's nerve-wracking, especially considering the student loan debt and my financial goals for this year, but there are many good reasons for it and it was well thought-out.
    The main reason for the job move is that my husband and I really believe that Jackson can facilitate a large theater, but I simply did not have the time to devote to it. I had severely underestimated the amount of time running a small non profit takes, especially when you are doing it by yourself. I'm sticking around for a couple more weeks, but after that you can expect that I will be writing a lot more about Acting Out! and what we are planning and doing next. I have this phenomenal book called "How to Run a Theatre" that I had read before, but not deliberately used. I am now going step by step through the book and doing absolutely everything that it tells me to do. I also have a good friend of mine that is going to help me with the business end of things, and we will probably be working on getting a fundraiser together in the next couple of months so that we can do a show this summer. This is going to be completely worth it. All of our hard work and sacrifices (financially) that we will probably have to make are going to pale in comparison to what we're going to accomplish here. Don't ask me how I know. I just do.
    There are a plethora of other reasons for quitting this particular job that I am not going to go into, but suffice it to say that it's going to majorly improve my temperament.

    Yesterday I took my little guy to the doctor for his 2 month appointment. He did awesome the entire time, even when they took his temperature (although he did keep looking at me like, "Whoa, Mom. There is something stuck where it shouldn't be). He weighs 11 lbs 9 oz now and is 24 inches long. Big guy.
    And then came the shots.
    For those people who know me, they probably would say that I would be really chill about my kid getting shots. I have a really high pain tolerance and usually am very rational (i.e. it's really quick, shots don't hurt that much, he'll forget it in a few hours, etc.).
    The nurse came in with her three syringes and her lower lip stuck out at me. I laughed and asked her if the moms usually cried more than the babies do. She smiled, "I cried more than the baby the first time I gave an infant shot." "That's weird," I thought.
    She asked me to hold his knee so that he didn't jerk his leg. I grabbed it and started talking to him. He was looking around, cooing, blissfully unaware of what was about to happen. Until she stuck him.
    His leg went stiff. His eyes got huge and went straight to me and stared at me for what seemed like forever. Then his face got red and his mouth just opened. But he was so upset that no sound even came out.
    I am not ashamed to say that I started bawling. It was traumatic. And we had to do it in the other leg too.
    On the way out to the car, I promised Noah ponies, baseball tickets, ice cream, and special edition hot wheels. I cried on the way home, too.
    In fact, I have little tears in my eyes right now.
    He has to get more shots in two more months. I told Jordan that he's taking him. I'll be darned if I ever do that again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This is one of my favorite posts so far about you being a mom.

    "On the way out to the car, I promised Noah ponies, baseball tickets, ice cream, and special edition hot wheels."

    I love this. and I love you.

    ReplyDelete