Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Financial Peace

It is kind of crazy how when you acknowledge healthy decisions you are immediately attacked with insecurity. Yesterday I went back on almost everything that I listed in my last post. It was rough.

Trying to complete at least one goal this year, I have been reading Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover." I still believe we can conquer this debt. I am tired of living in a society where mortgages and car payments and credit cards are considered good. They're not good. If we didn't have a mortgage, we would have half a paycheck more every single month. Mortgages, I have decided, are made of the devil.

I am looking forward to really getting this journey started. The envelopes are made, but we have yet to get a big payday that will fill said envelopes. My idea is to get about 3 months ahead with our bills and then start throwing extra money at that nasty nasty debt.

I am a little disappointed that I didn't foresee the medical bills we would get from Noah's birth. Even with insurance and half off of all medical bills for being an employee, we ended up with about $5,000 in bills. Now that it's almost paid off, I'm a little sad about how that didn't go to the student loans like I thought it would. I would be half done! On the other hand, though, we paid $5,000 in five months. That is not shabby at all.
 
I think I just needed to write this all out to convince myself that where we're at is nothing to be ashamed of. We are now absolutely on the right track and I have hope that, at the very least, all debts besides our mortgage will be paid off in 2013. I never want to have debt again. And I don't think we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment