Sunday, January 2, 2011

Worship

Amazing Grace will not be sung in heaven.

Those were the words I was hearing this morning during worship. Since being attached to Jordan, I have found myself further wrapped up in the debate between traditionalists and contemporary...um...ists.

I don't know all the jargon that goes with this debate. I don't know all the arguments that have to do with either side of the issue. I grew up basically singing exclusively contemporary praise and worship. I think I turned out ok. Likewise, I know many people who have always sung hymns. They are also ok.

The fact of the matter is, though, that all of these songs are shadows of what we will be singing before his throne. We are debating over imperfection. We are debating over which songs help us "worship better." It's ridiculous.

I had been telling people that I liked "mixed worship," meaning that I liked a little of the hymns and a little of the contemporary. I didn't realize at the time that this is just another part of the debate.

So the announcement I would like to make to the world is that I am taking myself out of the debate and I strongly advise that you do so as well. Stop arguing amongst each other about worship, a thing that, once we get to heaven, we will realize that we knew next to nothing about.

I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. John 17:23

No comments:

Post a Comment