Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year, New Attitude

Noah and I have been sick the past couple days. Noah has been the projectile vomiting kind of sick. I refuse to eat, because I hate to vomit. So we've just been hanging out together, which is, you know, pretty perfect.

I was thinking about what I want to accomplish in 2013 and whether or not I wanted to make a 13 goals list. I decided I really didn't. Partially, yes, because I barely accomplished any of my goals for 2012. But also because what I want to accomplish in 2013 is so much more complicated than 13 goals.

I follow an amazing blogger, Kelle Hampton. She is a stay at home mom/writer/blogger/photographer. I want to be like her when I grow up. Even though I'm technically already grown up.

What I realize every single time I look at her blog is that I do NOT slow down and smell the proverbial flowers with my child. I run around like a crazy person trying to keep my house clean, work one of my four different jobs, and get my masters degree. I don't feel like I take the time to look around myself, which explains the lack of posts recently. I would sit down to write and then think, "Gee, what do I even have to write about?" and the answer would be nothing.

There are so many things I want to instill in my children. I want them to love to read. I want them to be healthy eaters and make wise choices. I want them to appreciate music and art and sports, but more importantly, to appreciate the people who do these things. I want them to love Jesus because they see me loving Jesus and see how he completes every part of my life.

And, on less important notes, I would love to be the pinterest mom. Not because I'm good at it, but because the memories made while making these crafts or starting these traditions would be so special. I don't want to be too busy to sit down with my children and finger paint or mess with glitter.

So my resolution starts today. Of course, I do have to make lists no matter what, but most of the ideas I have are much less tangible than usual.

I'm going to start making memories with Noah
Whether that means just a normal bed time routine (I know, I know... I'm a terrible mother) or sitting down to make crafts. I have to be more deliberate with him.

I'm going to become more positive
Jordan can barely stand to watch t.v. with me anymore- I've become a real nitpick. I'm hoping that he can find a gentle way to keep me accountable and that I can start seeing the silver lining a little more often and accept others' faults more readily.

I'm going to get un-addicted to technology
I'm finding that I'm on Facebook, email, blogs, and television more and more and I text non-stop. That has to be done. I'm going to start with Tech-Free Thursdays and see how that works out for me. Then I'm going to start trimming down on other days. It's eating a hole in my life that I'm never going to get back.



So, those are my resolutions. There are a million other things I would like to accomplish in the New Year, but I'm not going to hold myself to them. Because the more goals I make, the more I think about them instead of my child. And that will end this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment