Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Running

I am on week 3 of the Couch to 5k program. Yesterday it totally kicked my butt.

In order to complete my 101 things, I have to run 10,000 miles. It's a lofty goal, equaling a little more than 9 miles per day. But I wanted a lofty goal. In three years I wanted to run at least one marathon, maybe even two. But when I ended my 23 minute run yesterday and say 1.28 miles... can I just say I was a little discouraged.

I know that I don't have anything to be ashamed of. I know that I'm only on my 3rd week of training. But when week 3 was so much harder than week 2, I thought for sure that I would at least hit the mile and a half mark. Instead, I raised my mileage by one tenth of a mile.

Living in a car-driven society, I think, is the reason both my husband and I were discouraged by our mileage yesterday (although, can I just brag on him and say that he has went from never running or working out in his life to running two miles non stop in only three weeks? Hooray!). If we make our cars go just a little bit faster for a little bit longer, we will cover miles and miles more in just a few minutes time. We had to remind ourselves when leaving the gym yesterday that we are humans. And that one tenth of a mile is a lot for a human body.

I hope that this will all even out at the end of my 1001 days, though. Because I would love to hit 10,000 miles run. That would be hardcore.

No comments:

Post a Comment