Thursday, August 2, 2012

Food List, Education, and Slavery


Based on enrollment data, about 72 million children of primary school age in the developing world were not in school in 2005; 57 per cent of them were girls.

Once again, a statistic that just makes me sad.

Education is something that we, in general, take for granted. I know I did. I didn't realize that having an education made me less likely to be the victim of domestic abuse or sexual exploitation. 

The sad thing is that these girls know it... they just can't do anything about it.

Pray for these children. Pray that they are given a chance to do something better with their lives for the glory of God. Pray that they would be given the same opportunities that we possess here in the U.S. 

Yesterday was hard. Really hard. I didn't realize how much I loved food, and I have to admit, I have caved in and drank coffee. I decided that if it meant I could be coherent all day then it was worth it.

My food was pretty devoid of color, but here it is anyway.

Oatmeal with bananas

Peanut butter sandwich, rice, and milk
This is basically my menu, at least for the next week. I also had spaghetti at dinner, which I took a picture of, but apparently my phone cord has walked away so no picture for you. It was spaghetti, I promise.

Food is so much cheaper here. I still get to eat 3 meals a day with my $2.00. I am so blessed.


Love146
Love146? What does that name even mean?

In 2002 the founders of Love146 took a mission trip to brothels in Southeast Asia. While I would love to tell this story, it’s probably best being heard from their perspectives:



And if you are anything like me, while watching that video you felt a little bit like you were suffocating from the inability to save those girls immediately.

Love 146 spends 50% of its money on the prevention of trafficking, which is, I believe, the most excellent way to spend their money. They use some of their funds to pay organizations already in the countries who know the language and the culture but simply lack the money to be effective.

While the organization was founded by Christians, it is not a religious organization, so their employees cover a vast array of humanity and enables all to be a part of fighting this heinous crime.
 Don't forget to look into Compassion. I found a little girl that I'm just dying to get sponsored. You can check her out on my Facebook page, or you can ask me for the link to find her.

No comments:

Post a Comment